Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How to fix your bookshelf!

I visited my amazing grandmother last week.  Between several giggles and the usual mischief, I helped her out a little with her bookshelf.  And no, I do not have an inert need to organize everything I see... cough, cough, ahem. 




She has a lot of great accent pieces and some great books, both in color and shape-- we just need to fit them in where they are working with each other!

If you want a change with your book shelf -- Here are some of the things I did:

- Play around with the books - stack some piles, stand others up, display some others
- Group by color and then preferably by size
- Look and search at pictures of what others have done for ideas 
- Use baskets and containers to break up continuity of books
- Try to make a focal point of the shelf - something that stands out more than the rest
- Little novelty items should be used for Bookends or as decor infront or  on top of books.
- Try moving some things around and experimenting! It might take some trial and error but it is so rewarding when you're done!







I tried to do a combination of laying books down, and standing them up. It helped spread things out a little more.






I am a big fan of color coordination, so I tried to keep the cool colors (blues) and the warm colors together (reds).




Made some stairs for good 'ol moosey.



I tried to make a focal shelf right in the middle that was larger than the rest and included some pieces that catch the eye -- they were previously on the top shelf not doing a whole lot.


There were a lot of books to fit in -- I should have cleared some of those as well. 
All in all, I wish I could have just painted the shelf too! But that's another project for another day!



             

                 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...